Cofactor canonicalisation of mpn_gcdext

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Mon Nov 23 14:43:00 CET 2009

  It almost spells out the result we're talking about. Part (v) says, in
  our notation:

     |t| <= u / r_{\lambda-1}, |s| <= v / r_{\lambda-1}

  where

    r_{\lambda-1} = r_\lambda q_\lambda = g q_\lambda

  is the last-but-one nonzero remainder in the remainder sequence.

  So equality, |t| = u / g or |s| = v/g, is not ruled out, as far as I
  see. When does that happen, and which border is hit? When v/g is even,
  one could choose between the ranges

I suppose u = 0 or v = 0 both give equality.  And so does |u| = |v|.  I
suppose these are the only cases where we get equality, but I have no
proof...