Portable and compile ver of GMP

bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it
Tue Dec 18 22:52:54 CET 2012

Ciao,

Il Mar, 18 Dicembre 2012 7:49 pm, Torbjorn Granlund ha scritto:
> Vy Bui <01bui at cardinalmail.cua.edu> writes:
>
>   I read one paper and they compare their work with two versions of GMP, I
> know
>   how to use "compiled GMP" which (in that paper) has lower execution time
[...]
>   switches from a slower to a faster algorithm depending on the
> data size and
>   according to certain thresholds while the "portable version" doesn't
> have that.

The paper you refer to reads: "We considered two versions of GMP. The
first was the compiled version of GMP which is highly optimized for the
underlying microprocessor. The other was the highly portable version of
GMP". Right?

What do the authors mean with "portable version"? We should ask them.
I can guess they mean the same GMP library, compiled with the
--disable-assembly (was --host=none...) configure option.
In both cases, (with or without assembly portions) the library uses
different algorithms "depending on the data size", for some tasks, e.g.
multiplication. The goal is, of course, to use the faster algorithm in
each range.

http://bodrato.it/